All information is instantly updated in real-time, so all the room and availability information you will see is current. The site is secure (128-bit SSL encryption), so all of your private information is safe. We take privacy seriously.
After you have selected your room and provided us with your contact information and credit card details, your reservation automatically enters our system with a status of “Reserved”. This holds the room and prevents anyone else from booking the same room on the same dates. You will then receive an e-mail giving you written confirmation of your reservation. This email will include the total price and information about our policies.
If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, please contact us so that we may verify your e-mail address and send to you a prompt written confirmation.
The credit cards that is on file is not processed until 1-2 days prior to the date of the reservation. This detail provides guests with the option of alternate payment options should they decide to pay by another means. This detail also allows for flexibility within the original reservation should details of the reservation change.
Check-in is anytime after 3pm
Check-out is anytime prior to 11am
1-2 days prior to your scheduled check-in, you will receive entry instruction via email. All door locks are electronic and key-less and open with a numbered keypad. The 4 digit entry codes for each door and keypad will be provided for you along with additional directions in your entry instructions. This will allow you to find the house easily and let yourself in whenever you arrive.
There is not a live-in Innkeeper onsite, so you have lots of flexibility as check-in goes. This means that you may check-in anytime that works for you so long as it’s within the check-in and check-out times.
Minimum Stay Requirements
Some dates throughout the year may have a minimum stay requirement. Our reservation system will not allow you to book only one night on a date with a minimum stay requirement.
Check-in is anytime after 3pm. For guest coming from Illinois or Central Time Zones, please remember that Michigan is Easter Time; one hour later.
Check-out time is anytime prior to 11am. This time is flexible with advanced authorization as long as there isn’t another guest checking in that same day.
Smoking is prohibited indoors. If it is determined that smoking has occurred indoors during your stay, a $200 charge will apply to cover damages as a result. Smoking is allowed outdoors only. We ask that smokers please be courteous of other guests and be sure that smoke isn’t able to pass through open windows, that it isn’t in a the presence of other guests who may be offended by the smell and is disposed of properly in receptacles, not thrown on the ground.
1. Prior approval is essential, so that we can limit the numbers of pets in residence, and can
interview you to determine if your pet is a good traveler.
2. Only dogs under 50 pounds are allowed.
3. Only 1-2 pets allowed per kottage.
4. In consideration of other guests, barking is prohibited.
5. Pets must be leashed when out of the guest room.
6. Pets must be washed & on ﬂea medication prior to arrival.
7. Extra charges apply; $15 per night for up to 2 pets per kottage.
8. Owners should bring their own pet bedding, dishes and food.
9. No pets permitted on the beds or furniture. Protective covers advisable, “just in case.” Loaner bowls, beds and towels available on request.
Many attempts have been made to make all of Kara’s Kottages child-friendly and safe for all of our guests, both inside and out. However, if we know that a small child will be present, we will happily go the extra mile prior to their arrival to implement additional safety features such as baby gates and receptacle protection.
We ask that you exercise extreme caution while burning candles
• Do not bring your own candles to burn
• Candles provided are all soy based and healthy to burn
• Do not move provided candles from their original location
• Keep wicks trimmed so that the candle burns properly and safely
• Do not burn candles that are placed inside of a book shelf
• Do not burn candles while asleep
• Do not tip over candles while burning when wax has liquiﬁed
• Guest will be charged for any damages associated with candles; scorching, wax or the like
Out of consideration for other guests, we ask that the use of kottages is limited to outside guests.
• A maximum of 10 people is allowed in the two bedroom kottages at any given time
• A maximum of 6 people is allowed in the studio kottage at any given time
• Parking lots, front and back entrances, outdoor patio and exterior lawn areas will be considered
to be part of a quiet zone determined by Kara’s Kottages. Quiet, mindful and respectful
behavior specifically before 8:00am and after 11pm is expected of all guests.
• Gatherings shall not take place outside on the porches that could disturb the neighbors after
11:00pm and before 8:00am
• Music and audio levels shall be respectful and mindful of other guests. Music should not be
heard outside of any kottage or through open windows.
• The house only has 3 kottages in it, so I would strongly recommend a friendly and neighborly
disposition with other guests if you wish to entertain outdoors.
A charming and inviting outdoor space is provided for all guest to share. Please be courteous of the shared part and invite other guests to enjoy along with you. The fire pit is just outside of the window of the Birch Bark Kottage.. Please be sure to respect the guests in that kottage by keeping voices low enough so that it isn’t disruptive.
A parking lot along with an open garage is provided for all guests to share. There is no reserved parking, so feel free to park anywhere. Please be sure not to block in other vehicles and do not drive onto landscaped areas.
As diehard stewards of the planet, we take great pride in our efforts to minimize our ecological footprint whenever possible. This includes such things as biodegradable cleaners, soy candles, compact florescent light bulbs (where we can), high efficiency appliances, aerated faucets, motion activated lighting, in-excessive laundering and recycling everything possible. In turn we ask that our guest recycle all paper, plastic and aluminum in the baskets provided in the kitchens.
We’ll make sure that all recyclable trash doesn’t end up in landfills!
We also request that guest be conscious of waste on the part of heating, cooling and electricity.
• Please turn down furnace when you’re away for long periods. It heats up very quickly when
it is turned back up. Also, please do not be excessive with high temperatures and CLOSE the windows. Air conditioners have several settings. Please be sure and adjust to a low setting if you’re away for long periods or if it isn’t very hot outdoors. The entire house only has 1 small southern facing window, so it stays quite cool in the summer with the absence of direct sunlight.
• Please do not leave lights on when you’re away.
Safety against theft
Due to the fact that there isn’t a 24/7 innkeeper at the house at all times and that it’s located in a
neighborhood with marginally high foot traffic, we ask our guest to be mindful of their possessions
and the protection of the home.
Theft has never been an issue here and we would like to keep it that way. Your efforts include:
• Not leaving valuable items in plain sight inside of your vehicle and keeping vehicles locked
• Closing doors behind you so that the house is locked at all times. Doors lock automatically
• If you’re in a 1st floor suite, be sure that the safety latches are engaged if windows are open
and that windows are locked if they are closed.
• Not leaving valuable items out on the patio